You could cut down your code by almost have and drop every second line when
following the documentation regarding JsonView:
http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/views/json-and-xml-views.html
No need to fight the framework and manually set response type and alike

Also, I highly recommend using /users.json as request url.
This way you also trigger a lot of Cake magic as well. And you are down to
none of your code above, as CakePHP would do all that for you right away.
See www.dereuromark.de/2014/01/09/ajax-and-cakephp

Am Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014 16:59:11 UTC+1 schrieb Rubensvsx:

> Sorry for the poor english.
> I created a piece of code that solved my problem in returning a JSON
> object and helped me not to re-write all views. I await your feedback pros
> and cons.
>

>> class AppController extends Controller {
>>     public $components = array('RequestHandler');
>>

>     function beforeRender() {
>>         if ($this->RequestHandler->*isAjax*()) {
>>             $this->layout = '*ajax*';
>>             $this->RequestHandler->setContent('*json*', '
>> *application/json*');
>>             $this->*viewVars *= json_encode($this->*viewVars*);
>>             *return false*;
>>         }
>>     }
>> }
>

> If an Ajax request is performed automatically be returns a JSON object
> with the query result.
>
> $.ajax({
>> url: "http://localhost/aplication/users";,
>> type: "POST",