I've worked with Cake on several sites now, but am having trouble
getting it to function on a new (HTTPS) server.

I downloaded the latest Cake from the Web site today and uploaded it to
my server in a subdirectory. After configuring the database, I
attempted to access my new app at https://mydomain.com/mydir/cake/ and
was greeted with an Apache 404 page that said:

"The requested URL /usr/home/myusername/public_ssl/cake/app/webroot/
was not found on this server."

Note that it appears to be looking for webroot at an address that
corresponds to its actual position in the filesystem rather than its
URL.

Next I tried disabling all three .htaccess files and uncommenting the
BASE_URL line in core.php. This improved things but not completely: I
can now see the app's home page (or anything else I specify using the
default route in routes.php), but when trying to access a regular
controller action I still get a 404 error - though the URL is correct
in this case:

"The requested URL /mydir/air/objects/ was not found on this server."

Any idea what might be happening?