We usually a exclusive *nix environment.

But, we've got two simple reasons as to our choice in SQLServer in the
current project:

   1. The client requested it. Their existing infrastructure, as well as
   all their existing systems run in a MS environment. They are not willing,
   nor can they afford to switch over, or run two separate environments
   2. FileStream.

Microsoft of today is a different beast than Microsoft of a few years ago.
PHP is now a first class citizen on MS environments and works incredibly
well under IIS.

The simple fact in our (as in the company I work for) reason for SQLServer
is it's what the client is paying for. If they client wishes to pay for
SQLServer, then so be it.

On Friday, 15 August 2014 10:59:20 UTC+2, Борислав Събев Borislav Sabev
wrote:

> I've been following this theme for quite some time now and I need to ask:
>
> Why would anyone want to use MSSQL with PHP?
>
> And before anyone starts getting evangelist on me:
> Yes, MSSQL could be considered an advantage over MySQL and it is. Sure!
> But IT IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION and it is very,very poorly supported if your
> application is hosted on Unix/Linux.
> Historically, PHP was made to work in the Unix/Linux environment and then
> *ported
> to MS Win/IIS*. We all know that Microsoft loves to hate the Penguin.
> Has anyone used the FreeTDS driver on Linux? I sure have and not by my own
> choice. It does not support transactions... Yes! Transactions!!
>
> Why does Microsoft NOT produce a good driver for their DB but for
> Linux/Unix?
> Why would you want to pay Microsoft's fees if they don't really support
> you?
> Why would you want to run your code with the disadvantages that hosting it
> on MS IIS and still pay them?
>
> The bottom line is: *Microsoft wants to sell their shit* *and for loads
> of cash*.
> They will do this at any cost and the first thing they do is to push us
> all back in the corner - that's why there is no official Unix/Linux driver
> for MSSQL. Because they want us to host our shit on their shitty OS and
> most importantly *NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE THE CHOICE*.
>
> Sure, I am an Open Source advocate and you can say I am biased. But I can
> argue that it is much better for one to be able to have a multitude of
> choices that to be given with only one and no laternatives.
> That's the problem, ain't it?
>
> So for me, bottom line is if you want a real RDBMS as of  Edgar Codd's RDB
> theory (and no not MySQL) you still have PGSQL and it goes even further
> than that.
> PostgreSQL gives us what MySQL (I think) will never be able to and takes
> so many steps forward. Even from MSSQL.
>
> A lot of people take the decision to use MSSQL because "that's what
> they've used previously" but this does not make it the right choice.
> Sure, you may not have a choice now but what about in the future?
> So please, think about it and don't get evangelist on me. :)
>
> Best Regards,
>     Borislav Sabev.
>

> On Thursday, 29 May 2014 00:19:09 UTC+3, Jordan Hopfner wrote:
>>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I'm using the latest version of Cake (2.5.1) and am having a problem with
>> extremely slow connections to a MSSQL server. A controller action that only
>> has one simple select statement is taking an upwards of 50 seconds to
>> complete. I don't think it's the select statement itself, I have a created
>> an empty page that connects to MSSQL via PDO and executes the exact same
>> statement and the result is instantaneous, so this leads me to believe it's
>> a problem with the MSSQL data source packaged with Cake. If it was a driver
> [...]

---