But you are just asking for a normal AJAX update, why are you trying to do
it by yourslef? DRY baby ;) Try this:

index.thtml:

<?php echo $ajax->div('updateableDiv'); ?>

<form method="post" id="finished_topics_form" name="finished_topics_form"
onsubmit="return false;">
       <?php echo $ajax->submit(' Publish selected ', array(
                                'update' => 'updateableDiv',
                        'id' => "publish_button",
                        'name' => "data[Button][publish]",
                        'url' => "/editors/topics_publishing"
             )); ?>
</form>

<?php echo $ajax->divEnd('updateableDiv'); ?>

editors controller:

function topics_publishing()
{
        $this->set('data', $this->data);

        $this->layout = 'editors';
}

views/editors/topics_publishing.thtml:

<?php debug($data['avt_cb']); ?>

-MI

Remember, smart coders answer ten questions for every question they ask. So be smart, be cool, and share your knowledge.
BAKE ON!