Ho Ho Ho.

Everyone loves gifts. So, we have CakePHP 1.1.12.4205[1] and 1.2.0.4206_dev[2]
packaged and available on CakeForge. CakePHP 1.1.12.4205 is a bug fix
release for the stable branch. Read the changelog[3] for more information on
what has been updated.  CakePHP 1.2.0.4206_dev is the next major version
with several new features. This is a development release so not all the
features are finalized and additional changes are almost guaranteed. We have
been running the Bakery and most of the CakePHP sites on the 1.2 branch, and
have also heard of some people using it with some success.

As for CakePHP 1.2.0.4206_dev, there is not much in the way of documentation
yet. We will have some updates as soon as we can. The best we can do for now
is the API [4]. We appreciate any help you can lend to help us get the docs
up to speed.

Here are the new features in CakePHP 1.2

Validators.

FormHelper: Is much improved and extended. Bake yourself some new views
using the latest code.

EmailComponent: send some emails in plain text, html, or both.

SecurityComponent: now supports HTTP_AUTH through var $requireLogin.

CTP: We are deprecating the ole ".thtml" in favor of ".ctp". This will serve
as the template for any type of content, whether it be xhtml, xml, rss, etc.

Pagination: check out the paginate method in the Controller class and the
PaginatorHelper. Its pretty simple. try using $this->paginate(); instead of
$this->Model->findAll();, then $paginator->next() in the view. The
PaginatorHelper is automatically added when you use paginate().

Url extensions:  specifying the content type of the request is easy with
Router::parseExtensions() added to /app/config/routes.php and the
RequestHandler.  Things like XML and RSS can be added without changing your
controller code. Views are mapped to
/app/views/<controller>/<contentType>/<viewFileName>.ctp

Model Behaviors:  A behavior is something that can help you handle your
data. Similar to a component helps out the controller, now you can use
behaviors to extend the functionality of the model layer. Inside,
/app/models/behaviors create your file. For example,  lets take the new
ListBehavior (coming soon). we have a class ListBehavior extends
ModelBehavior in /app/models/behaviors.php. This class has a setup(&$model,
$config) method that will pass a instance of the model and some config data.

Datasources: The database is not the only place you might store data. So,
having multiple datasources will allow you to access them through model
methods. You can build custom datasources. We will have a skeleton class up
shortly of how to do this, or take a look at dbo_source to get an idea of
whats needed.

i18N and l10N: Some of you have contributed to helping us translate the
core, so you already have a leg up in this regard. I need to write more on
this but I dont know what to write. Its mostly automagic, just use the __()
method to wrap your static text. Then put some po in the locale and get
jiggy with it. You can see it in action now[5], the site should display in
the language your browser sends through HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE if we have the
translation. You can see the current languages we have[6]. If you would like
to translate to a language we do not currently have you can use the default
file[7]

These are most of the major features. There are many other improvements to
make you life easier. The best thing to do is start playing around.

[1] Stable 1.1.12.4205: http://cakeforge.org/frs/?group_id=23&release_id=170
[2] Development 1.2.0.4206:
http://cakeforge.org/frs/?group_id=23&release_id=171 you will need to scroll
to find the highlighted release