Why couldn't you access session from a component? Add the Session component
to the component you are creating, something like:

class FetchSessionComponent extends Object
{
        var $name = 'FetchSession';

        var $components = array( 'Session' );

        var $uses = 'Section';

        var $controller;

        function startup(&$controller)
        {
                $this->controller =& $controller;
        }

        function getSection($id)
        {
                if (!isset($this->Section))
                {
                        loadModel('Section');
                        $this->Section =& new Section();
                }

                $this->Section->id = $id;
                $section = $this->Section->read();

if ($section === false) {
                        $this->Session->setFlash('Section doesn\'t exist,
displaying sections index.');

                        $this->controller->redirect('/admin/sections/');
                }

                return $section;

And then from your controllers you add FetchSession as a component and you
can do:

$section = $this->FetchSession->getSection($this->params['url']['section']);

-MI

Remember, smart coders answer ten questions for every question they ask. So be smart, be cool, and share your knowledge.
BAKE ON!