Dr. Tarique Sani wrote:

Not to sound like a prick but 400,000 page views are not much for a
typical 3+1 configuration. Given your estimate of higher performance
you say you will reach about 1.2 million page views on the same setup
which again makes me want to know your hardware configuration.

Firstly, I don't claim to be a hardware guru, and my estimations are
purely based on brief conversations with the techs who run the servers.
So with that in mind... all the machines are dual xeon 2.8GHz with 2Gb
of memory. But like I said, the machines have not flinched even at peak
traffic so far (I've rarely seen them above 0.1), whether we could
handle 1.2mil or 10mil page views a day on the current hardware was
just speculation on my end.

The decision to use 3+1 straight off the bat was mainly due to the need
for handling rapid expansion -- the site only launched 2 weeks ago. Add
to the mix the need for video transcoding and an element of the unknown
in this respect meant it was easier to start with more than less.

To put things from my perspective - we have conventional php
application which manages 12 to 15 million page views on a 4+2
cluster. Yes the hardware on this is awesome!

Sounds like a nice setup you have there :)

Regards.