AJAX itself can't handle file upload. It's a big no no apparently and a
security hazard if it was allowed...however, what goes on is there is
an iframe and the file upload takes place there within that form.

There are several tutorials on this, TJSinglton linked one there,
here's another: http://seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/

and if you need further info, use my custom search engine on my blog:
http://www.concepthue.com/blog
to read more about the whole thing, I have several pages I included
with info on this as I was just working with this a few weeks ago.

In the end....and after getting it to work...I decided not to use it
lol, but hopefully this will be of some help.