I have developed a form in Cake which contains several hundred
questions. It will be used for a certification test when complete. The
length of the form has required categories separated into 7 individual
pages.

Cake's database sessions do a good job maintaining state through to the
final submit page, but I need to enable the user to save each individal
page and return later if he/she so requires. The problem is to not
create a new record for each category saved. Basically I need update
capability on top of the normal add functionality in the controller.

The user needs to be able to login later and return to where they left
off and continue to completion.
I've Googled and have not come up with the practical solution I'm
looking for. I've thought of rerouting the edit mode to suit, or
perhaps write a component. What is the best practice?

Thanks.

Devon