nate wrote:
TT wrote:

> I will take a better look at Cake's source though, perhaps it is
> possible to influence the caching so it will not be cleared
> automatically after changes :)

As a matter of fact, there is, and we've even made information about it
available, in an easy-to-read, non-source-code format, accessible for
your viewing pleasure right here:
http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/view_cache

Firstly, may I echo TT's apreciation for your help, Nate and Chris.

I feel that I am missing something, though - the manual states: "For
example, if one of your views uses information from your Post model,
and there has been an INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE made to a Post, Cake
will clear the cache for that view."

But what I think TT and myself may be looking for is a way of caching
some or all pages for a given time until we give the clear cache
command. For example I may be updating some tables all the time (last
login, homepage views etc etc), but will only want to clear the cache
when someone posts a comment, or an author adds a post, which may only
happen once an hour rather than once every couple of seconds.

Would I be right in supposing that if I set up another sql user, and
did a separate mysql_connect to do all the updating that I would *not*
like to clear the cache and then let Cake do the rest as appropriate
that this would solve my problems?

Or is this like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters?