In my latest project, I am trying to make particular Models/Controllers
inherit from other Models/Controllers that I create.  For example:

Items
     --> Article
          --> News
          --> Event

In particular, I am trying to figure out the model association, so that
I can plug in a new Model and Controller and it all works magically.

My current Items Model is:

<?php
class Item extends AppModel {
        var $name = 'Item';

        var $hasMany = array(
                'Event' =>
                        array('className'     => 'Event',
                                'conditions'    => '',
                                'order'         => '',
                                'limit'         => '',
                                'foreignKey'    => 'item_id',
                                'dependent'     => true,
                                'exclusive'     => false,
                                'finderQuery'   => ''
                        )
        );
}
?>

I don't want to have to go in and edit the Items model every time I get
a new model that inherits from Item.

I know you can, on the fly, do new associations (or is this v1.2?) but
they only work for the next query.  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.