In Macromedia Flash, you can add trace("blah"); throughout your code to
echo things during development testing.  When you compile your SWF and
preview it in flash, a log window pops up displaying the things that
you are tracing, like the current value of a variable.  I'm curious,
could something similar be done with Cake?  I think it would be more
convenient than printing stuff out and breaking things or interfering
with headers.

I guess the approach I would take is to make a function, trace() if
already taken, somewhere accessible to the whole app.  any time this is
called, it opens up a new browser pop-up window (if you're in
development mode in core.php), and outputs the contents of the trace()
there.  Another trace would just use the same window that's already
open.