"This post will only make sense if you can see the diagram!"

Yes, that's a problem...I cannot see the diagram...probably Google
groups doesn't allow attaches or something.

I will try to answer you the best that I can, though...

Cake can take care of relations between the tables...just look in the
"Model" chapter on the manual for the "hasOne", "belongsTo"
entries...I think that might give you some light ...I think you must
name correctly, but you can force some column names on cake...at least
you can do this with the primary key...so I believe that you will have
some means of doing that...

As for the rest, I can't really answer (no diagram!!), but I think
that if you read the sections I told you, you'll be able to figure out
for yourself...

Two last advices: "Remember, no one knows your application better than
you!" and "There's always several ways around"...

Good luck!