Here is what I have to do in order to get CakePHP working in my XP/
Apache2 environment.

1) Modify the webroot/.htaccess file to look like this (I added the
line after the first RewriteCond

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

2) In img, css, js, files folders I added this .htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine Off
</IfModule>

With "1" I have found that RewriteCond does not cascade.  After EACH
RewriteCond, I must put the RewriteRule I want activated.

With "2" the only way I was able to display images without a "missing
imgcontroller" error was to turn off mod_rewrite in each folder.

I am happy it is working now, but I can't help think that something is
wrong with my setup that I had to do these modifications in order to
get things running.  Is this an XP thing, or have other people needed
to do similar mods in order to get things running?