Hi Jon

I am just about to implement this exact functionality in an application.
  Like you, I also think that it would be a logical piece of
functionality to include in the Cake core.  After all, soft delete has
exactly the same set of issues attached to it (cascading for instance)
as does regular delete.

Mariano says that it is so simple to implement that you wouldn't put it
in the CakePHP core.  Why then put delete in the core?  Surely it would
be just as simple to implement?

What attracts me to Cake is that stuff like deleting is simple to do.
As a "consumer of Cake" (as opposed to a developer), I would find soft
deletes a useful feature to have built in.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion / 2 cents worth etc :-)  I
would be interested to hear the reasons for not including this sort of
functionality.  Is is a matter of bloat?

Regards,
Langdon