As this is using Cake's cache the SAME limitations are applied.

How is it that 'time' will be set in the view if the controllers are
not run?  When it is cached NO CONTROLLERS are run.  NO SMARTY is
run.  Only the session variables are available.

I see in my template it is difficult to get a clean code except in my
situation so I will change the SmartyView to have easier caching.  But
you still will have to rethink how your variables are accessed.

I'll reply back soon,

David Lloyd
--
lloydhome consulting