I had the same problem in my last project, a multilanguage product
katalog:
http://www.shop.werit.eu

My solution was like langdon proposed:

a table called languages which keeps all translated strings and hold a
reference to the related record:
  - id
  - object_id (foreign object)
  - lang (de/en/fr)
  - type (product / category /page .. of the foreign object)
  - name (holding product name)
  - description (product description)

the selected language is kept in the session, and the strings for
buttons / static texts are in php language files within constant
defines.

the downside of this pattern is that when using internal cake
relations there is a big overhead in sql calls, so i wrote custom
finder methods for each related model (products/categories/..) to
findAllWithLanguage in one sql call.