While we are now getting OT the response from my hosting company was
interesting:

"Mod gzip isn't installed. The last time (several years back) we had
it installed it didn't actually reduce bandwidth usage for indivdual
sites, the end user bandwidth graphs etc calculated usage on
uncompressed data (gave inaccurate bandwidth reports), we did however
see a drop off in total server bandwidth usage and large html files
rendered quicker.

We removed it back then due to high cpu usage and the odd report of
pages not rendering properly, and I've not looked at it since. I'm
interested to see how it performs now so what I'll do is install it on
the server you are on for a testing period. If it goes well I'll leave
it on (unless we see issues with it). This will happen within the next
3 - 6 weeks."

They have promised to let me know when it is installed so it will be
interesting to see how it performs.