hashes are just a number so a collision is certain with a large enough
dataset.  CRC is usually 32 - 64 bits and MD5 is 128 bit.  They are
pretty good at making sure you have the file you knew you wanted -
i.e. checking for transmission errors.  To check against a duplicate
file I would want something better.  At least the MD5 , filelength ,
and first n bytes of the file (32+?).  If all three were the same it
would be a real good check but not definitive.  The more you can check
against the better until you actually compare byte-to-byte the two
files.

My 2c,

David Lloyd
--