Try setting them on your app/config/bootstrap.php like so:

$modelPaths = array (
        '/some/other/path/models' // Custom
);

// Standard model path is added automatically by Configure::
__buildModelPaths()

You get this by looking at:

1. cake/basics.php - loadModels() has this:

        $path = Configure::getInstance();

        // ...

        foreach($path->modelPaths as $path) {
                 // ...
        }

2. cake/libs/configure.php - __loadBootstrap() has this:

        $modelPaths = null;

        // ...

        require APP_PATH . 'config' . DS . 'bootstrap.php';

        // ...

        $_this->__buildModelPaths($modelPaths);

-MI

Remember, smart coders answer ten questions for every question they ask.
So be smart, be cool, and share your knowledge.

BAKE ON!

blog: http://www.MarianoIglesias.com.ar