Hi zipman

> but if I have $arr=array('key1'=>'value1','key2','value2')
> and I want to pass that as an argument of foo I cannot use the code
> above.

Why not do

<button onclick="update_div('http://localhost/cake/tests/foo/
some_string?key1=value1&key2=value2','main')> Click me </button>

In fact I have an app with drag and drop article sorting where I POST
the new order of items via AJAX and the url looks like:
/admin/articles/sort/2?sortlist[]=1&sortlist[]=11
then the receiving function admin_sort($id) in my articles controller
gets the id (of the category, in the example "2") and inside that
function I have access to my sortlist via:
$this->params['url']['sortlist']
(which turns out to be an array;)

greets,

frank