I'm sure nobody wants to see my entire form here.

But you're right, i should have posted some code earlier.

ok, here is a dump of $this->data after saving with the submit
button in the bottom of the form :

Array
(
    [skill] => Array
        (
            [skill] => Array
                (
                    [0] => 1
                    [1] =>
                    [2] =>
                    [3] => 3
                    [4] =>
                )

        )

    [Author] => Array
        (
            [somevalue1] => 2
             [edit_presets] => do_editpresets
            [id] => 1
        )

)

and this with the submit button on top of the form :
Array
(
    [Author] => Array
        (
            [edit_presets] => do_editpresets
            [somevalue] => 2
            [id] => 1
        )

    [skill] => Array
        (
            [skill] => Array
                (
                    [0] =>
                    [1] =>
                    [2] => 3
                    [3] =>
                )

        )

)

Does it have something to do with how browser set up POST vars ?

jyrgen