Hi surfivor, thanks for asking; it's important that this discussion
comes up from time to time, as the state of affairs in both frameworks
continue to change.  In a presentation I gave a few months ago, I
compared Cake to a couple other popular frameworks out there.  For me,
Symfony can pretty much be summed up in slides 7 & 8 here:
http://cake.insertdesignhere.com/files/nyphp_presentation.pdf