For sort and filter you can certainly use query string parameters.
Have you tried that? I don't think you will any problem there.

For the problem of passing multiple units you don't need to use a
special separator, cakephp will pass anything matched by * as
additional arguments to your controller function.
For example if you have
$Route->connect('/units/*', array('controller' => 'units', 'action'
=>'view'));

you can use

function view() {
    $sort = $_GET['sort'];