On the User model class add a function like:

function validateFields($fields)
{
        $ignore = array_diff(array_keys($this->validate), $fields);

        foreach($ignore as $field)
        {
                unset($this->validate[$field]);

You could also instead move this function to AppModel so you can have it
available for other models.

Then on your controller:

$this->User->validateFields(array('user', 'password'));

if ($this->User->set($this->data) && $this->User->validates())
{
        // Check login
}

-MI

Remember, smart coders answer ten questions for every question they ask.
So be smart, be cool, and share your knowledge.

BAKE ON!

blog: http://www.MarianoIglesias.com.ar