I think you should make your files hidden or not accessible by web
(with the help of .htaccess) and then make a controller that will
return the file's data (with a new layout of course)
which will return the file's mime and other good headers you like to
send.
the auth code should be on that controller too

i don't know if there are performance issues with this method but it
is a sulotion