> Now that you've put the idea in my head I think I'll have a mess
> around with a few of the suggested setups, work out the pro's and con's of
> each and write them up.

Hi,

in one of above posts is mentioned svk, so if You're curoius (or want
to mention it in Your bakery article, there is saved paste in bin
about it:

http://bin.cakephp.org/saved/160

svk is set of perl scripts which works with svn repositories and
allows create mirror of any repository or directory in it

Regards, Jitka aka poLK