I have just yesterday finally solved a huge problem that I was having
with a Cake application that I upgraded from v. 1.0.0 to v 1.1.13.  I
doubt that anyone else will encounter the same problem as me, but
thought that it was worth recording.

This app was the first I ever built with Cake and it needed some
modifications, including more flexible security.  So my task was to move
from OthAuth to DAuth and ACL which I use in all my projects now.

I thought that as the Cake version was old, it would be worth upgrading
to the latest stable Cake as well.

Well, nothing is ever easy.

After three days of beating my head against why DAuth wouldn't match
login credentials I discovered the following:

In old releases of Cake the URL of favicon.ico set in the default layout
is relative.  This is fine with IE as it only seems to request it once
for the site's root directory.  FireFox however requests it for every
directory (or at least multiple times for whatever reason).

As a result beforeFilter() in appController was being run multiple times
by all of the favicon.ico requests.  This had the effect of changing the
DAuth salt value stored in the user's session on the server, thus
causing a credentials mismatch and ruining my week.

Having worked out that there were multiple favicon.ico requests hitting
the server, I read up in this group on favicon.  I found a post that
mentioned a relative v's absolute URL issue.  So I went and checked my
default.thtml layout and there it was.  The URL was relative.  I changed
it to absolute, and the problem went away completely.

So problem solved.  As a result I have developed a great love of Cake's
Logging features.  It would have been a much harder task to identify
this error without it.

Regards,
Langdon