you could have the after find create a format_id field on the fly and
then you would still have the id field for linking and other work.
Then you can use the format_id for display and the id for the 'work'

Sam D

--
(the old fart) the advice is free, the lack of crankiness will cost you

- its a fine line between a real question and an idiot

http://blog.samdevore.com/archives/2007/03/05/when-open-source-bugs-me/