I made a little test and I have put:

     pr($this->uses);
     exit();

in cake/libs/controller/controller.php __construct() function, before it
exiting.
What I discovered was that if you set $uses to null or an empty array() in
your controller
it overrides the declaration in app_controller, dunno if it's a bug or a
features, but
I suggest to use this snippets, to dinamically load data from menu table,
that for me is preferred
method, or better you can write a component and a helper but this is another
story ;).

class AppController extends Controller {
   // var $uses=array('MenuItem'); // There is no more need for this

   function beforeFilter() {
     parent::beforeFilter();
     loadModel("MenuItem");
     $menuItem = new MenuItem;
     $this->set('menuElement', $MenuItem->findAll());

I have not tested this, it's based on my little knowledge.
If there is somethingh wrong let me know.
cheers