Ok, well in my controller, before I pass anything I print_r my
variable, and the output looks like this:

Array (
    [0] => Array (
        [Section] => Array (
            [id] => 1 [name] => topnav )
        [Menu] => Array (
            [0] => Array (
                [id] => 1 [name] => Home [path] => / )
            [1] => Array (
                [id] => 1 [name] => Home [path] => / )
             )
        )
    )

It does look rather skew-wiff to me.  Here is my model:

class Section extends AppModel {

        var $name = 'Section';

        var $hasAndBelongsToMany = array(
                        'Menu' => array('className' => 'Menu',
                                                'joinTable' => 'menus_sections',
                                                'foreignKey' => 'section_id',
                                                'associationForeignKey' =>
'section_id',
                                        ),
        );

}

So my Section model has a id and a name.  Menu model has a id, name
and path, and the join table (menus_sections) has a menu_id and
section_id.