"...the error I get shows that a query ('__sanitize') is being
made to the db. "

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're accidentally placing
'__sanitize' as a string inside your $data array, instead of the
*results* of that function. This would then get passes through to the
SQL call causing the error. I've had something similar happen to me
before. It boiled down to the fact that I didn't really know what I
was doing, which happens a lot when learning something new.  I tend to
just try something and see what happens. Sometimes I get lucky :)