I totally agree.  At my company I am lucky to have a lot of creative
freedom with my project.  When I took over, they already had a custom
CMS built on ColdFusion which is buggy as hell, and some sites are
just plain HTML docs that I have to manually update.

At first, I started down the Drupal route, but quickly encountered
issues with modules that I required not being finished, or coded and
documented enough to fix.  I was relying upon other people to finish
their work.

On the other hand, with CakePHP it is going to take me longer to
create our CMS (plus the wasted time on Drupal) however, I can taylor
it to our needs and requirements, as and when needed.  Plus I know the
code like the back of my hand now so I know where to look when there
is a bug.

The good thing is its also similar in some ways to the current CMS so
there is no need to fully retrain other staff in its use, and it can
be used consistantly over all the sites I manage (currently 7) so I
can apply bug fixes and new features easily.

Tane