Hi

Is mod_rewrite enable on your host?
If yes, you should not need to edit httpd.conf.

If not, you must use Cake rewrite system:
http://www.domain.tld/controller/action/param1
will become
http://www.domain.tld/index.php/controller/action/param1

Take a look at the first parameter in /app/config/code.php: BASE_URL

Who's your hosting provider? Maybe someone already spoke about it in
the group...