As you have stated above, you only need to create a link table for
many-to-many relationships. If your table is joining to eight other
tables and they are one-to-one or many-to-one relationships, then the
table will simply have eight foreign keys.

'Link' tables should not be that common, it should often be a full
entity with other attributes (other than the two foreign keys) so
becomes part of many-to-one and one-to-many relationship with the
other two tables. In the unlikely event you really have a schema that
requires eight link tables off one table, you should perhaps revisit
your design - I work with schemas that have tens of thousands of
tables/views and cannot think of a true 'link' table amongst them.

HTH

GreyCells