I dont know if anyone else has done this (or even needs to) but i
found it nice to have.

I was trying to set up two cake installs - one for 1.x and the other
for 1.2x

There are several places within the cake core that have direct defines
to the cake/ directory itself

After directly modifying
   bootstrap.php
   paths.php
   and the 1.2x app/index.php
     require CORE_PATH . 'cake2' . DS . 'bootstrap.php';

for my cake2/ directory I was able to get both installations running
simultaneously

However I noticed that configure::version() was still returning 1.x
even though my app was running in the 1.2x folder.

I found another 'Hard Coded' reference to the initial cake/ dir in the
Configure class itself

I modified the 1.2x Configure::version() as well
    require(CAKE . 'config' . DS . 'config.php');

Now I have 1.x and 1.2x versions for development - and they both
report correct Configure::version() as well

Just thought someone might find it interesting