I just would like to say that I totally agree with "a good sample
app"...  CMS would be a real world example.

I'm a developer of desktop apps since 1987 (C++,C#,ASM,VB,Delphi,.
for windows, unix,..)
>From time to time I used PHP for some small projects... So I'm always
looking for some good PHP framework.

CakePHP seems to be a good choice... but there are some points I
really don't understand
- the CakePHP Website(s) is/are an major example for horrible design
(don't want to say corporate design,... )
- a lot of peaces of code and domains are hacked together..
- So, the main menu of CakePHP is called Google

so, everybody who is new to Cake will have a lot of problems where to
find the stuff he needs to become familiar with cake.
even the wiki was switched off...  (we don't need documentation..(?))

- rest of documentation I found is awful, "organized=null"
- a lot of code snippets...

Ok,.. so let's have a look if we can find some tutorials. (Learn)
The outdated bakery tutorial...  yes that makes sense...
The other tutorials in screencast don't make sense at all. (At least
not for developers who already know what's an editor)

Next: goto IBM! They have an idea what's inside of cake...
Cake Bookstore... what's this? Nedd some cash from Amazon?
Read: ahh... the Google listing...:-)
and so on...
Why use CakePHP?... because they have an Active, friendly community,
and please don't forget to donate...
Where to donate I found before I first could have a look what's inside
cake....
.. the group can be found at google... (that's real corporate
design!.. always look at different places to find what you are looking
for..)

So, as an developer, I would now search for some clean running sample
apps.
But there are none of them...

To all the "cake-gurus" who are saying: NOO, we don't need a killa
app, Cake is just for developers!!!
You really have no idea what you are talking about... (you must be
living in a real cake world)
What do you think what people (developers) are doing??
They build websites and web based applications!
Take one of the books offered in CakePHP and read....!
You have some kind of interaction by users, databases, calculations...
and at least dynamic content presented to the output.
That's more than 90% of what applications do... and so that's what
developers do with PHP.
Yes, and even a cms is doing most kind of this stuff. Believe it...
(take a look at CakePHP: othAuth, Upload, Pagination, ..)
Don't try to tell that you are just developing stuff like streaming
realtime data processing by PHP....

Ok, you still think CakepPHP website ist a glance of usability and
information?
The documentation is perfect?
The tutorials are "state of the art"?
.. and there is no need of a good sample application?

C'mon...  ya can't be blind.
... take a look at the CakePHP Menue (Google)... and read the lines
why people don't use CakePHP....
(it takes too much time ... not reading,  searching all the CakePHP
docs!)
Developing is an act of going straight forward and not hassle
around ...

If CakePHP would be a company developing websites/applications...  and
you would look at the website to find out what they offer....
Would you place an order? (organized=null, organized:structured==null,
places=many,...  that's the company I like..!)

I think there is a lot to do to become "CakePHP as best
Framework".....  at the moment is looks for developers new to cake
like "CakePHP the best Patchwork"...

I'm sure a lot of you will say some very bad words about what I wrote.
But before you shout out loud... think of what I wrote. A lot of
developers go away from cake when they first saw cake.... and they
don't put a line here why they don't use cake......

just my 2 cents worth