I personally use a 3rd party script as a vendor for doing my
searching.
I think the vendor feature is very much overlooked.

Combining the power of some simple yet powerful little scripts out
there with CakePHP really allows for rapid development of robust
applications.
Anyway, check out my research here:
http://www.concepthue.com/how-to/cake_search_vendor/

Quite easy to setup and I've found it effective. There are of course
other 3rd party scripts you can use instead.

-Tom