Golden Rule #243: Never let the client touch your code. If they don't
understand why it's 'complicated' they are going to break something.
Then they get to keep both parts.

None of my clients have access to the code base <cackle> it's mine,
all mine </cackle> but some can update their sites via forms. This is
sooo trivial to implement in Cake. I fact only one client even knows
why it's Cake running the show (they don't really care, but their old
spagetti site broke every time a change was made and I wouldn't take
on the maintenance without a re-write...)

I'd be very nervous allowing a third party to introduce potentially
exploitable code into a production site.

~GreyCells