This has nothing to do with cake and everything to do with php
for e.g. in any php file the following will work:
<?php echo "wateva" ?>
<?php echo "wateva else" ?>
but this won't
<?php
    echo "wateva"
    echo "wateva else"
?>
The parser automatically assumes that if you close the <?php ... ?>  tag
you meant to put a semicolon there.