On Apr 30, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Gonzalo Servat wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So I've gotten to a point in my app that I need to implement some
> sort of (basic) search engine functionality. It wouldn't be that
> hard to do if all the content was housed in database tables (as I
> could do something similar to what gwoo suggested in http://
> groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/
> d94d6521b70e6e09/b68f0389f18b8c5e?lnk=gst&q=search
> +engine&rnum=6#b68f0389f18b8c5e ) but my main problem is that a
> fair bit of content is found in view files (under app/views
> with .html extension to differentiate from .thtml files as the
> latter often contain forms and stuff that shouldn't be searchable).
> I thought about maybe doing a grep on any file under app/views with
> a .html extension for the search term entered, but it's a pretty
> hacky way of doing it (and wouldn't scale well if the site got
> busy), so, apart from doing my own indexing, can anyone suggest a
> way I can achieve this? I've had a search around but couldn't find
> any cakebaker/bakery articles on a scenario similar to mine.

I created a search engine using a few classes from the Zend
"Framework." They've got a nice port of the guts of Lucene, and its
pretty easy to create your own search component.

My content is almost completely in static view templates, so I
created a script that uses wget to pull down the content, and some ZF
classes to plug it into the index.

-- John