I seem to have tinymce working ok (touch wood!).

I followed the bakery article here:
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/using-tinymce-with-cakephp
Except I created an element (as someone suggested in the comments)
which makes it a whole load easier.

I'd be happy to share the steps I took to get mine working, but I
never encountered your FF issue so I guess that must be something
related to how you implemented it?

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm not bothering with AJAX stuff for
this so I haven't taken the precautions mentioned in the related
bakery article here:
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/using-tinymce-with-cakephp-and-ajax