I am using the same view for both add and edit.  When I click submit
with an existing record everything works as it should and the changes
are saved or the validation errors are returned.

When I click submit with a new record - nothing happens the form is
refreshed as if I had just called the action. Through some debugging I
have determined that the $this->data is not being populated (neither is
$this->params['form'])

I have this setup on numerous forms none of which are working - this
process was working correctly last week but many changes have been made
since then by several programmers.

Cake Version 1.2.0.4798
appache 2.2 and mysql 4.1

Thanks