> /me awaits the revelation that modelB.field isn't a primary key

true. i tried to point out, that modelB.field is not primary or
unique. its a value many modelB can share. so its not a n2m
relationship but a m2m. modelA has many modelB and vice versa. their
relationship is defined through the value of the field in modelB,
which lots of modelB can share.
i think in sql i would give an inner join a try but i try to avoid
writing my query and try to generalize the relationship in the models
itself, trying to use cake's infrastructure.

\n