Here are the routes that got it working:

http://bin.cakephp.org/view/1621988238

Crucial to it working was me sending an empty string (instead of null)
as the "action" parameter to Router::url

Tip of the hat goes to PhpNut for the help. And the money, as he
requested, goes to the Cake Software Foundation.