On 5/29/07, R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     That guy needs PHP4, this host needs PHP4, but no one is saying
> that I need a PHP4 support. This is the same scenario happened when
> PHP4 is released.  It's always better to move upwards whether it's PHP
> or CakePHP (how many people are going to stick to 1.1 for instance?)

Again, you're missing the point.  CakePHP runs just fine on PHP 5.
There is nothing stopping you from using PHP 5's new stuff with
CakePHP.  Sadly, many people are reluctant to upgrade to PHP 4 for
reasons to do with hosting (scared to switch) or comfort level (scared
that they won't understand PHP 5).  My boss feels that CakePHP suffers
because it has to support PHP 4 and that somehow it can't compete
against Zend Framework because it's PHP 5 only.  This is, of course, a
load of shit.

So, I put the following to you:  provide an example of where CakePHP
is being held back by having to support PHP 4 or shut the hell up
about it.  Documented proof would be nice, not just personal opinion.

Even if all you do is move your existing app to PHP 5, you will see a
benefit in performance.  It has been my own personal experience that
the only apps that might have to be tweaked to run under PHP are those
doing weird stuff with PHP 4's object model.  I run WordPress for my
blogs, which is supposedly a PHP 4 only application, with PHP 5.
Haven't run into any problems yet.

--
Chris Hartjes

My motto for 2007:  "Just build it, damnit!"

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard