The best place to put this, I find, is in a copy of
app_controller.php.  You place the copy into your app folder and add
your beforeFilters() etc.  This way you don't have to write that
function in every single controller.

Throw this into it and see how it does for you:

class AppController extends Controller {
    //public $ext = ".php";
    //public $helpers = array('Html', 'Javascript', 'Ajax');

function beforeFilter()
{
               $level_check = $this->othAuth->group('level');
                if (!empty($level_check))
                {
                        $this->level = $level_check;
                } else {
                        $this->level = 0;

Now, everytime a controller tries to run a "filter"  this function is
called, no matter what controller it is.  If you want to limit the
controllers that call this, name it another function and you will have
to call it manually from the controller that you want to use it.