I suggest to use this approach:

In your View:
// The 2^ param 'MDY' for the sequence of selects
echo $html->dateTimeOptionTag('Client/dob', 'MDY', 'NONE',
$data['Client']['dob'], array(), false);

In your controller
$this->cleanupFields(); // automagically buld a single fields from the group
of date selects
$this->Client->save($this->data);

HTH
For more reference see the manual or api