Here are the notes I have collected so far on using i18n in 1.2...

Internationalization (i18n)

    * at top of controller: uses('L10n');
    * create /app/locale/eng/LC_MESSAGES/default.po (French is fre/
fra)
          o http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php
    * create entries in default.po as such:

msgid  "close_window"
msgstr "Close"

msgid  "where_pin"
msgstr "Where is my PIN?"

    * call translations in view: <?__("close_window")?> )
("close_window" is msgid from default.po)
          o this is going to echo out the msgstr for the given msgid,
else it wil display the msgid given
          o use __("button_submit", true) to return the value as
opposed to echoing it
    * you can specify different languages as such:

$this->L10n = new L10n();
$this->L10n->get('eng');