There are three articles on implementing a SOAP server with Cake using
Nusoap here:

http://rossoft.wordpress.com/?s=nusoap&searchbutton=go%21

@John - how did you go about auth? Using the Nusoap approach above
ended up creating a 40-char API key which has to be submitted and
verified before a soap request can be returned. I am having trouble
figuring out how to change the returned data package depending on
whether the request was authorized or not though.

Cheers, Ian